Wednesday, December 17, 2008

37 weeks - Full Term

Well we are in the home stretch, I am medically full term at this point. I had my second internal exam and there was NO cervical change. The GBS test was negative. Dr. Ronen said I was a boring patient, I'll take that as a blessing. He said that Alessia is a 'small baby', what do you mean? 'It will be an easy labor', what the heck does that mean? 'You know a few pushes and she'll be out'. Ummm, yeah, I am not going to count on that. Where is that exercise ball at again?

We also attended the last of our childbirth classes at the hospital. It was good because we were able to ask questions specfic to our hospital's policies and standards. They recommended an epidural for first time moms and to birth at home until 3-4 centimeters because it takes so long to get that point in the beginning. I will labor and deliver in the same room. I will also get to hold the baby immediately after birth for an hour before they take her back to the nursery for temperature check, bathing and glucose testing. Which takes about 3 hours and then they bring her back to me to nurse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to hold Antonio for an hour. Maybe a few minutes then they took him away and I got him back hours later. I like the holding for an hour thing. ;)

NOLAMiMi said...

I am absolutely thrilled for you and your hubby! Having Lily was the most memorable experience in my life and I am so excited for you to experience it for yourself! I held her immediately after she was born and got to breastfeed before she was brought to the nursery which I believe is why she latched on so well in the beginning and I have had no problems breastfeeding. I can't wait for her Alessia to get here!